Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dried Fruits for Backpacking.

Finding the proper food to carry when you are backpacking is one of the hardest things for me. I can say I still haven't found the optimum meal that I would like to carry when hiking. Specially when hiking in high altitudes, the appetite is so low that you don't feel like eating anything. For that problem, one solution I found is a mix of dried fruit. They have different tastes, easy to pack, eat and produce no waste. The first time I tried that was when Omar did a pretty big mix of dries fruit. Going along his path, today I bought 45$ worth dried fruit and packed them after mixing. I thought I would share this information with everybody who are eager to find the best food when you hit the trail. Here are some information an their energy vs weight values.

Weight (per bag) : ~900g
Calories (per bag): ~3.25Kcal !!!!!!!

Total price : 45.03$
Total Weight : 4.651Kg
Total calories : 16.4KCal

Calories per gram : 3.51

Calories per gram for a Sneakers bar: 4.7

Eventhough the chocalate bar has a little more calories per gram, it is not something you can eat more than one at a time; however, fruits, with a good mix can be replaced by a total meal of 3KCals.

The spreadsheet with all the information here.


A very good link collection on backpacking food here.

No comments: