Sunday, May 11, 2008

Upper yosemite trail hike. Took our best effort, but totally worth it!!!

All these photos are uploaded to flickr. You can see them here.



So, the most adventurous part of our yosemite trip, was the hike of Upper Yosemite Trail. As I love mountaineering, I did hike some mountains back in Sri Lanka, and was not bad at that either. And my friends used to ask me 'did u "climb" any mountains lately?'.....well, if you know me, you know what I mean. And for the record, I was doing Rowing too, for about 6 months, in the University which in fact needed a good fitness level.




So I think now I am in a position to justify choosing the 2nd most strenuous hiking trail in the yosemite valley (Infact, I chose the most difficult one, The four mile trail, which was closed due to bad weather conditions), regardless of what the yosemite web site says.

But the liveliness of the yosemite falls in the spring gave us the strength with a cool breeze.


"Upper Yosemite Fall (strenuous)

7.2 miles/11.6 km round-trip; 6 to 8 hours; 2,700 feet/823 m elevation gain

One of Yosemite oldest historic trails (built 1873 to 1877), the Yosemite Falls Trail leads to the top of North America’s tallest waterfall 2,425 feet (739 m) above the Valley floor. Do not stray off the marked path, as you will find steep drops adjacent to the trail. Enjoy spectacular views from Columbia Rock located one mile (and dozens of switchbacks) from the trailhead"


Anyway, we started off from the famous CAMP4, at about 1.00pm. We had only one still camera, so I gave that to my parents and sister, who were taking another easier hiking trail, and decided to take the video camera (Sony SR42) to video and use my phone to take photos (Yeah, thats why these photos does not look that good. They have burn-ins).

No comments: